Gate Safety UL325
UL 325 7th edition
Monitoring of external entrapment protection sensors is required for all automated gate operators manufactured after January 11, 2016. The latest revision, effective August 1, 2018, clarifies and elaborates on these requirements.
- Slide gate operators require two external entrapment protection sensors to operate, one in each direction of travel. Sensors can be either contact (edge sensor) or non-contact(photo eye).
- Swing gates require two external entrapment protection sensors, either contact (edge sensor) or non-contact (photo eye), unless there is no entrapment risk in one direction.
- The photo eyes or edge sensors you install must be approved for use with the specific gate operator installed. Sensors proven acceptable are described in the gate operator's installation manual.
- HySecurity publishes an up-to-date table of the tested and approved photo eyes and edge sensors.
- UL 325 sets the MINIMUM standard of safety. You must also verify that the gate site complies with ASTM F2200. Survey site, usage class, gate type and other conditions. Design and install appropriate external entrapment protection sensors that address all potential entrapment zones.
- Gate operator manufacturers chose one of three compliance methodologies:
- Normally Closed Photo Eye and Edge Sensor - The HySecurity NC Compliance Path
- Pulse/Frequency detection - other manufacturers
- Resistance detection - other manufacturers
- The gate operator will not automatically cycle the gate unless an indication that the appropriate number of external entrapment protection sensors are connected and operational.
- For HySecurity gate operators, all external entrapment protection sensors must be NC sensor outputs and wired to the SENSOR COM terminal for monitoring and powering purposes. The sensor becomes actively powered when the gate operator’s motor runs.
- A list of tested and approved external entrapment protection sensors is published by the gate operator manufacturer.
- Refer to gate operator manufacturer installation instructions for installation details.
Simply install a UL 325 compliant HySecurity operator
- HySecurity includes high quality, reliable sensors with many of our operators to make compliance easy
- Gate operator automatically “monitors” photo eyes or gate edges for proper connection and correct operation
Install the same ultra-reliable Smart Touch or Smart DC Controller
- Trust in HySecurity’s ultra-reliable, time proven Smart Touch and Smart DC Controllers - the hardware didn’t change at all!
- HySecurity achieved UL 325 compliance with only a software update.
- Older HySecurity operators don’t require any change. Our software is backwards compatible to older operators without forcing system modification to monitored sensors.
- Older operators can be easily upgraded to current standard.
Select entrapment sensors from our qualified list
- These sensors have been selected for their quality and reliability, and certified to work with HySecurity operators by an independent testing laboratory